Have three-ingredient slow-cooker kalua pork to use? Try these Sweet and Sour BBQ Kalua Pork Meal Prep Bowls! Once the mean is cooked, you only need to steam some greens, make some rice, and whip up this sweet and sour barbecue sauce.
The pork has really great flavor on its own, but this sauce kicks it up a notch. The result is a smoky, vinegary barbecue flavor that’ll have you addicted.
These bowls are extremely easy to meal prep. You'll have a week's worth of lunches done in under 30 minutes. Then just grab a piece of fruit to pair with it on your way out the door. You can also easily adjust the amount of any of the ingredients upwards, if you need more to fill your stomach. These proportions were spot on for me, but feel free to add more rice, more meat, more greens, or all three!
First up, start the sauce in a small saucepan. Just whisk all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Let it cook for about 10 minutes to thicken. It can still be relatively runny since it’ll just coat all other ingredients anyway. This will make more sauce than you need, so feel free to adjust the amount of sauce on your bowls upward if you prefer.
Cook rice to package directions. Feel free to use your favorite rice here. I used white jasmine, but brown would work great too! Just leave more cooking time for brown rice.
Rinse the greens. Then remove center stem and slice the leaves into pieces about 1 inch wide. I usually remove all the stems first and then make a big pile of leaves to slice.
Steam the greens in a steamer basket for about 5 minutes until they are a really vibrant bright green. Alternately you could saute them in oil if that’s more appealing to you.
I doubled the amount of greens in this recipe from one bunch to two AFTER I had already taken the photos. So, ignore the photo and eat more greens. They’re good for you!
Now all you have to do is assemble the bowls!
Add ½ cup of the rice to each bowl or container, followed by ¼ of the meat (4 ounces if you’re using a pound of cooked pork). Divide the greens equally between your containers. Then drizzle with the sweet and sour BBQ sauce.
Throw them in the fridge and you’re done! They’ll keep well for 5 days.
The Recipe: Sweet and Sour BBQ Kalua Pork Meal Prep Bowls
For the sauce:
- ½ c. pineapple juice
- ½ c. ketchup
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger (or ¼ tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
For the bowls:
- 1 lb kalua pork
- 2 to 2 ½ c. cooked jasmine rice
- 2 bunches of collard greens
For the sauce:
- In a small saucepan, whisk together all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until sauce starts to thicken.
For the bowls:
- Rinse collard greens, remove center stem, and slice into strips about 1-inch wide. Place the prepared greens into a steamer basket and steam for about 5 minutes until bright green. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the bowls by placing ½ cup cooked rice, 3-4 ounces of pork, and equal portions of the greens. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of sauce onto each bowls.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Note: Adjust amount of ingredients up or down as you see fit when assembling bowls.