Roasted red peppers (any peppers!) are SO easy to make at home. I do mine under the broiler, but you can also use a gas stove. This method works great for peppers to use in salsa or other dishes too. You could also throw them in a jar and let them marinate.
I used half of this batch in a recipe and froze the rest for later.
Preheat your broiler to high and place your rinsed peppers on a rimmed baking sheet. As you roast them, they can release some liquid. It usually just pools on the pan, but I’d use a rimmed sheet just in case.
Then just let them go until the top side is blackened and bubbly. The blacker you get at this stage, the more black patches you’ll have on your finished peppers. And the more blistered the skin gets, the easier it is to peel away in the next step. Once one side is charred to your liking, use tongs to rotate about a quarter turn to let the next side char.
When you’ve rotated through all sides, transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Then let them rest for at least 15 minutes. This step lets them steam so the skins are easier to remove and makes them cool enough to handle.
After about 15 minutes (or longer is fine too), you can grab a pepper and start peeling. The skin should just peel right off. You can also try using a paper towel and rubbing the skin off, but I find using my hands works just fine!
Once the skins are removed, slice off the top and the bottom of the pepper. Then slice the whole thing in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and ribs. Slice into strips and chop into smaller pieces if needed.
The Recipe: Roasted Red Peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- Preheat broiler to high setting. Rinse peppers and place on a baking sheet.
- Roast peppers under broiler until skin is very black and blistered. Use tongs to rotate through sides. This could take 30-40 minutes.
- When all sides are blackened, remove from oven and place peppers in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and let steam for at least 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove skin from peppers using your hands. Discard skin.
- Slice off top and bottom of pepper. Then slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Cut peppers into strips and then chop, desired.