I’m always looking for quick, easy, and delicious recipes that I can prep ahead and take to work for lunch. This salad jar combines the fresh flavors of lemon, oregano, and garlic with protein and quinoa. They’re easy to prep on the weekend to eat for the rest of the week. Just grab a jar on your way out the door!
The chickpeas marinate in the dressing while the jars sit in the fridge. So, you’ll want to layer them in the same order listed. I put the chickpeas, chicken, roasted red peppers, and artichokes in first and then poured the dressing over to let those layers pick up more flavor from the dressing.
You can also scale the jars up if you want a heartier lunch. Try adding a full cup of quinoa to each jar or more chickpeas.
Here’s how you make them. Start by adding 1 tablespoon olive oil to a skillet. Add the cubed chicken and sprinkle it with dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Let it brown. When the chicken is almost cooked through, squeeze a tablespoon or so of lemon juice on the chicken. Let it cook a few more minutes until it’s no longer pink. Then remove it from the heat. Reserve the rest of the lemon for later.
While the chicken is cooking, drain the artichokes, chickpeas, and olives. Cut the artichokes into quarters and then chop. Quarter the olives. Then mix the dressing by zesting on of the lemons in a small bowl. Whisk in the juice of both lemons (minus whatever you squeezed on the chicken), the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
After that all that’s left is to assemble your jars! You’ll need four pint-sized mason jars with lids and rings. Start with ¼ cup of chickpeas in the bottom of each jar. Then divide the chicken equally between the four jars. Do the same for the red peppers and artichokes.
Next, divide the dressing evenly between the four jars, trying to drizzle it over as much of the ingredients in the jar as possible. The chickpeas will marinate in it at the bottom of the jar, but it’s also a good thing if the chicken, peppers, and artichokes soak some up too.
After the dressing, layer in the olives and feta. Then top with ½ to 1 cup of quinoa. Store the assembled jars in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When you’re ready to eat, just shake the jar to mix!
The Recipe: Greek Salad Jars
- 2 c. cooked quinoa
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (about 8 oz)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 c. chickpeas
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ c. Kalamata olives, sliced in quarters
- ⅓ c. roasted red peppers, homemade or jarred
- ½ c. artichoke hearts, quartered and chopped
- 2 lemons
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ tsp dried oregano, plus a sprinkle
- ½ tsp kosher salt, plus a sprinkle
- ¼ tsp black pepper, plus a sprinkle
- 1 to 2 c. spinach (optional)
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a skillet. Brown chicken, sprinkling with kosher salt, pepper, and oregano. When chicken is cooked through, squeeze about 1 tbsp lemon juice onto chicken.
- Zest one of the lemons into a small bowl. To the zest, add the juice of both lemons (minus what you used on the chicken), 2 tbsp olive oil, garlic, ¼ tsp oregano, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper. Whisk.
- Drain artichokes and cut into quarters. Drain chickpeas and set aside.
- Assemble your jars by adding ¼ c. chickpeas to each jar. Then divide chicken evenly between the 4 jars, followed by the artichokes and red peppers. Divide the dressing evenly between the jars. Then add olives, feta, and then ½ c. of quinoa to each jar. Top with spinach, if using.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days. To serve, shake jar to mix and pour into a bowl.